Arab Health 2008
On Target reports on a major global healthcare exhibition, and how some UK medtech companies have used it to access new overseas markets.
Arab Health 2008 (28–31 January) took place at the Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre, UAE. The exhibition included 20 national pavilions, with over 2500 exhibitors from more than 65 countries showcasing new products and services to more than 50,000 healthcare professionals from all over the world.
The Arab Health Congress presented 18 conferences in specialised areas of medicine, surgery and healthcare management to more than 6,000 delegates, making it the world’s largest event of its kind.
The conference themes included Global Healthcare Marketing, Information Technology in Healthcare, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Urology, Medical Imaging and Diagnosis, Anaesthesia, Surgery, Vascular Intervention and Orthopaedics.
UK medtech at Arab Health
The UK pavilion at Arab Health 2008 showed the strong interest of UK healthcare companies in this rapidly-growing overseas market.
Medilink Yorkshire and Humber, a membership-based professional association, returned to Arab Health to help its member companies showcase their innovations and create international partnerships. These companies included:
- Anetic Aid, supplier of operating theatre equipment to hospitals in the UK and overseas. International Sales Manager Mike Pritchett said: “At Arab Health we met up with our existing distributors and explored new relationships for areas where the company is not currently represented. The event also allowed us to find new products for us to sell in the UK.”
- APC Cardiovascular, launching the HeartSmart – a physiologically-based technology that could significantly reduce mortality risk. Derrick Ebden, Managing Director, said: “The event allowed us to meet with our new distributor in Saudi, and current partners in the region such as Egypt and Iran. The HeartSmart was received very well by doctors across the globe, including interest from Brazil.”
- Britannia Medicare, showcasing the world’s only condom with a lubricant containing Vitamin E (which can stimulate cell growth and combat the symptoms of cystitis). Bibi Phillips, Managing Director, said: “We saw great interest at Arab Health – including from Saudi Arabia, which is a new area for us.”
- Downs Surgical, a leading UK surgical instrument manufacturer, exhibiting its full range of products with emphasis on its ENT range and orthopaedic implants. Steve Spurgin, International Business Manager, said: “At the event we were able to strengthen relationships with our current distributors, allowing us to agree goals and objectives for 2008.”
- Luxfer Gas Cylinders, showcasing lightweight medical gas cylinders that assist patient activity and reduce the risk of injury to hospital staff. Fleur Foster of Luxfer said: “Arab Health has allowed us to make some key contacts in the Middle East – a new market for us. We will definitely return next year.”
- Trio Healthcare, specialists in siliconebased medical devices for stoma care, incontinence care and wound care applications, looking to add to their growing network of global distributors. Ben Curtis of Trio said: “This was our first time exhibiting at Arab Health, and the support received from Medilink Y&H as regards organisation and keeping us well informed was fantastic.”
- Vernacare, a leading provider of infection control solutions. Greg Cranfield, Managing Director, said: “Arab Health has been a great show for us, with interest from all over the Gulf region as well as areas such as Canada, the Netherlands and Malasia. We also received an order from the Ryad Hospital in Saudi Arabia for a large number of Vernacare systems.”